a ninja is most effective when he is most invisible

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Resurrection Sunday

A few notes from our service on Resurrection Sunday:

- Some of you may have noticed the large box of water bottles that appeared this morning. While they may look delicious after a long morning of setting up sound equipment, we want to save those for the musicians who are singing! We can serve them by getting drink from the water fountain, or loading up on Cuban coffee before the service.

- Let's continue our discussion on how we can get the stage set up by and the band practicing by 8:45. If you are a member of the tech team please post your thoughts; I also want to invite the worship team to pitch in here. What can we do to help you guys get ready on time?

- I'm also posting the Summer schedule here. Let me know if there are any conflicts. We are going to continue the same rotation we had in the Spring, but are actively recruiting for a third team. If you know someone who might be interested, please send them my way!

- One last note: I will be returning from my internship a month earlier than I had planned. This means I will only be gone for May, June and July.

I love you guys and will be waiting for your posts! He is risen!

10 comments:

Roxanne said...

David,
The toledo's will be in GA on May 2-4th. What do you advise us to do about serving and the lunch?

Vanessa Marie Fernandez said...

Hey David,

thanks for seeking to improve the way we serve the church. I thought everything was wonderful on Sunday - especially the power point, they were totally on top of things.

My only observation - Wally's vocals were a little low on his solo song.

Thanks again everyone for serving, it is such a blessing to the church!!!!

bushums said...

Thanks for the heads up Roxanne. I'm going to be up at the wedding too! I'll ask around to find someone to cover for you guys. Any volunteers?

Joe said...

hey davidito,

One question, do we know why the left speaker wasn't working until my dad finished praying, at the beginning of the sermon?

thats about it, and I agree with ness on the vocals of Wally.

Thanks bro!

bushums said...

Good question Joey! I forgot to put that in my post.

Before I explain what was wrong I need to explain how a channel is "assigned":

Basically, each channel on the mixer (like the wireless microphone, miguels guitar, or the kick drum microphone) can be sent to several different places after it's level is set. This is done by pressing one or more of the buttons here. Notice there are three places to send it.

LR: This will send the channel directly to the house speakers and the pan knob will control if it is heard on the left or right side.

1-2: This will send the channel to groups one and two before going to the house. The pan knob will control if it goes to group one (odd) or group two (even).

3-4: This will send the channel to groups tree and four before going to the house. The pan knob will control if it goes to group three(odd) or group four(even).

When I showed up Sunday morning I noticed that the channel for the handheld wireless microphone (the microphone we use for prophesy which was also the one your dad used to preach this week) the "1-2" button was pressed instead of LR.

If I didn't change it, wireless micrphone would have acted the same was as one of the vocal micrphones we use during worship. So, when we turned down or muted the vocalist group we would loose the prophesy (and this week preaching) micrphone.

When I unpressed the "1-2" button and pressed the "LR" button, I forgot to turn the pan knob back to the middle (it was turned to "even" so that it would be assigned to group 1 only).

So what ended up happening was that the channel was panned only to the left speaker at the mixer.

If you understood all that you may ask why, if it was panned only to the left speaker, we could only hear it in the right? Apparently we have a cable crossed somewhere and the left speaker is hooked up to the right fader and vica versa... something to look into.

I hope that someone understood that. If not I'll try to explain it again on Sunday. Thanks for the question Joey!

Anonymous said...

You guys do an amazing job of cheerfully serving each and every Sunday. I am so grateful! I think that the increase in attention being paid to the 'house' sound levels is great and important. Just a thought as well, From my vantage point in the nursing mom's hallway retreat :)... It is clear that instrument and vocal levels come through those speakers in a clearer/different way than we hear them in the house mix or monitors. It may be instructive to check that signal for balance etc. as it seems to come across less cluttered for some obvious acoustic reasons...sometimes revealing appropriate mix, and others, a not so balanced mix etc.
You guys are selfless and patient and just plain funny and what a blessing you are!

mattie

mefea said...

thanks for the large box of water bottles :)

rocket man AKA Marcos said...

I agree with Vanessa and Joe about Wally and his vocal and it was partly my fault. But I have a request right before we start setting the moniter levels I would love to have the musicians just play a song at full volume just to set the gains that is why Wally's vocal was so low. (Remember Just a Reguest)

marcos said...

sorry Request

bushums said...

I completely agree Marcos. Last week we really did not have time to properly set the preamp levels.

Miguel, did we ever decide on a song the worship team could play loudly every week at the beginning of warm-up to help with setting preamp and monitor levels?

Tech Team Calendar